[Image: Big Brother is texting you]
Textise is a new way of looking at the Web. It’s an Internet tool that removes everything from a web page except for its text.
In practice, this means that images, forms, scripts, pretty fonts, they all go, leaving plain text. What’s really cool, though, is that links are retained, although these are no ordinary links: click one and you’re transported to another text-only page, and that page leads to another, and another, and another… You stay in Textise World until you click the Back To Reality link.
Because forms are removed by Textise (well, they’re not text, are they?), you might think that searching isn’t possible. Well, think again – the Textise home page allows you to search using a variety of popular search engines (Bing, Google and Yahoo) and display the results in a text-only format. Plus, Textise can optionally display a search box on some sites (BBC, Metacritric, YouTube and many others – see this blog post
for the full list).
Textise has many uses –
- It can improve accessibility for the blind and partially-sighted.
- It creates pages that are better for printing when it’s just the words you’re after.
- It allows safer navigation to suspicious web-sites.
- It can make cluttered pages easier to read.
- It can show you what a search engine sees when it scans a web page – great for SEO!
- It can show you what a screen reader sees when it processes a web page – great for ensuring accessibility!
- It can help with web research.
- It can help web developers add maintenance-free accessibility links to their web sites. See the For Web Developers page for more details.
If you discover new uses for Textise, please let us know by adding a comment to this page.
Note that Textise does have some limitations:
- You can’t use Textise to visit sites that require you to log in, e.g. Facebook.
- You can’t use Textise to buy stuff from e-commerce sites, e.g. Amazon (but you can browse their stores).
Textise is free for small-scale personal, educational and charitable use. For commercial and government purposes and for large web sites (including, but not restricted to, the creation of text-only links that use Textise or calls to the web service), please contact me for a quote using the Contact Page
. Payment can be made on a monthly or yearly subscription basis and the cost will vary according to the size of your site and number of domains covered. There are other benefits to subscribing, including site personalisation, and rates are always reasonable.